Upcoming 5 May global events
Categories - Uncategorized
On 5 May, world hand hygiene and international day of the midwife are commemorated each year.
The theme for WHO’s 2019 world hand hygiene campaign, SAVE LIVES: Clean Your Hands, is ‘Clean care for all – it’s in your hands’. The calls to action are:
- Health workers: “Champion clean care – it’s in your hands.”
- IPC leaders: “Monitor infection prevention and control standards – take action and improve practices.”
- Health facility leaders: “Is your facility up to WHO infection control and hand hygiene standards? Take part in the WHO survey 2019 and take action!”
- Ministries of health: “Does your country meet infection prevention and control standards? Monitor and act to achieve quality universal health coverage.”
- Patient advocacy groups: “Ask for clean care – it’s your right.
As part of this, WHO calls on everyone to be inspired by the global movement to achieve universal health coverage (UHC), i.e. achieving better health and well-being for all people at all ages, including financial risk protection, access to quality essential health care services and access to safe, effective, quality and affordable essential medicines and vaccines for all. Infection Prevention and Control, including hand hygiene, is critical to achieving UHC as it is a practical and evidence-based approach with demonstrated impact on quality of care and patient safety across all levels of the health system.
WHO has launched a number of the posters and other resources in support of 5 May actions.
International day of the midwife’s theme is ‘Midwives: defenders of human rights’. Posters and a resource pack are available in support of campaign day activities.